Wednesday, May 29, 2013

If You Are New To My Blog...

If you're just popping in for the first time to my gardening blog, I'd like to encourage you to check out my previous postings of 2011 which have no expiration date on the usefulness of the information.

In that banner year I did a series called, "My Favorite Vegetables" in five installments: "Salad Veggies", "Peas and Beans", "Eat Your Greens", "Rooting for Roots"and "Harbingers of Spring: Purple Sprouting Broccoli & Chives". If you are new to gardening, gardening on the coast or new to eating freshly grown vegetables you will find these posts to be a fun review of what's possible to grow here and some particular varieties that (in my opinion) stand above the rest in flavor, suitability to our climate and ease of growing.

I also did a review of the many edible fruits that were growing in the garden I last participated in: "And the Winners Are". This posting will introduce you to a list of common and rare fruiting plants and how well they adapted to our climate. All of these plants were donated to the farm by "One Green World", an online plant catalog. The coast is particularly suited to growing many types of berries and fruits.

You will also find a posting about watering, which looking out the window today you may think unnecessary, but come summer you may want to refer back to if you are gardening on sand (most gardeners in Manzanita).

One of my favorite postings is about the sort of plants that some gardeners welcome and others scrupulously remove: self-seeding, self-sowing, happy interlopers. You choose which ones to befriend and which to demonize.

That should keep you busy reading until my next posting. Happy gardening!

No comments:

Post a Comment